WEEKEND BOX OFFICE: Fox Pictures “Ice Age: Continental Drift” drifts away from the crowd to lead the weekend box office with $46 million in its debut, followed by Sony’s “The Amazing Spider-Man” in second place with $35 million and total gross receipts of $201 million, followed by Universal Pictures’ raunchy adult comedy “Ted” in third place with $22.2 million. Pixar’s Scottish adventure “Brave” takes the fourth spot with $11 million, with a total haul of $196 million and rounding out the top five is Warner Bros’ “Magic Mike” with $9 million.
Ice Age: Continental Drift, the fourth installment in Fox’s prehistoric toon series, didn’t set the North American weekend box office on fire, but the movie, kept afloat with an estimated $46 million opening. The Ice Age movies have done very well at the international box office with 2009 installment Dawn of the Dinosaurs raking in $886.7 million worldwide, with nearly 78 percent of its business coming from foreign territories. Continental Drift, which stars Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Queen Latifah and Denis Leary, is also showing real strength overseas, with its gross for the first weekend internationally coming in at $95 million, bringing its international total to-date to $339 million, with a worldwide tally of $385 million. Continental Drift also has a multi-ethnic line-up of new voices that includes Keke Palmer, Jennifer Lopez, Wanda Sykes, Drake, Nicki Minaj and Piolin.
1. Ice Age: Continental Drift — $46 million
2. The Amazing Spider-Man — $35 million
3. Ted — $22.1 million
4. Brave — $11 million
5. Magic Mike — $9 million
6. Savages (2012) — $8.7 million
7. Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Witness Protection — $5.6 million
8. Katy Perry: Part of Me — $3.7 million
9. Moonrise Kingdom — $3.7 million
10. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — $3.5 million
Latest posts by HinterlandGazetteStaff (see all)
- 1-Year-Old Boy Dies After Being Shot in the Face in Cleveland Shooting - April 12, 2015
- GBI to Investigate Shooting Death of Nicholas Thomas by Smyrna Cop - April 2, 2015
- Heart Transplant Recipient Anthony Stokes Dies After Police Chase - April 1, 2015