Peace Organization Says Jacob Zuma, ANC-Led Government Have ‘Blood on Their Hands’ for Marikana Killings

Jacob Zuma, former vice president of South Africa.

Peace Organization Says Jacob Zuma, South African Government Have ‘Blood on Their Hands’ for Marikana Killings (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

South African President Jacob Zuma has more than Brett Murray’s ‘The Spear’ painting mocking his manhood and Jonathan Shapiro’s (Zapiro) cartoon calling him ‘a dick.’ He has presided over the worst massacre of South Africans since the riots in the 1970s and 1980s, when 34 striking miners were killed and 78 wounded at the Lonmin mine in Marikana. Now New Zealand-based peace organization, Global Peace and Justice Auckland’s John Minto has written an open letter to Zuma and the government saying they have “blood on their hands,” the Mail & Guardian reports:

“Just as we held the apartheid regime responsible for the massacres in the 70’s and 80’s, we now hold the ANC government responsible for the massacre of striking mineworkers.”

Minto said members of the organisation had watched with growing alarm at the direction the ANC leadership had taken South Africa since the first democratic election in 1994.

“Under the ANC we have seen South Africa change seamlessly from race-based apartheid to economic apartheid”.He said the strike came as a result of the ANC’s choice to follow free-market economic policies.”Such policies had always transferred wealth from the poor to the rich and stripped hope from the majority” he said.

Jacob Zuma called for an inquiry into the shooting, but do they really need an inquiry to tell them that apartheid is alive and well in South Africa and that the platinum mine owner is the new slave master? Surely President Zuma must have heard that police chief Riah Phiyega defended the actions of the police in the shooting massacre.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Kenyan Domestic Workers Face Modern-Day Slavery in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Lebanon at Hands of ‘Employers’

Kenyan domestic workers face modern-day slavery in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Lebanon, some beaten and sexually assaulted by their ‘employers.’

Map of the territory and area covered by prese...

Kenyan Domestic Workers Face Modern-Day Slavery in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Lebanon at Hands of ‘Employers’. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

SUNDAY NATION:  “Cases from Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Lebanon where there are about 4,000 Kenyan domestic workers fill Ms Kamau’s in-tray. A few additional cases are filed by drivers, Ms Kamau said.

In the last year she has dealt with about 900 of them. Of these, 445 were assisted to return home, 104 were successfully arbitrated, 310 are still pending and 29 Kenyans have been sent to jail. (READ: We don’t oppress foreigners, says Saudi envoy)

Those leaving home are always driven by the pursuit of a good life and greener pastures. The trouble starts right from the recruiting stage. When a potential employer wishes to hire, they contact agents in their home country where, Ms Kamau says, they are required to pay up to $3,000.”

Enhanced by Zemanta

Former FL Wrestling Coach John Hackney Wanted by Roswell GA Police Over Molestation Accusation

Roswell, Ga., police have issued an arrest warrant for John Hackney, a former youth wrestling coach in the Brevard County, Fla., school district, after he was accused of molestation.

Hackney, 51, is accused of molesting youths during a stopover at a hotel in Roswell last month. The youths had attended an Amateur Athletic Union wrestling camp at Appalachian State in Boone, N.C., and was returning to Astronaut High School in Titusville, Fla., when they made the stopover in Roswell, according to a report in Florida Today.

Samuel L. Jackson Joins Cast of Spike Lee’s ‘Old Boy,’ Bruce Hornsby to Do Score

Samuel L. Jackson joins Spike Lee's Old Boy, Bruce Hornsby to score

Samuel L. Jackson Joins Cast of Spike Lee’s ‘Old Boy,’ Bruce Hornsby to Do Score (Marvel Studios)

From the Los Angeles Times:  The English-language remake of Chan-wook Park’s cult favorite “Oldboy”already had some big-time names, what with Spike Lee directing and Josh Brolin in the lead role.

Now the revenge drama is getting two more notables: Samuel L. Jackson and Bruce Hornsby.

Jackson has come on board for a small but critical part in the new film, according to a person close to the production who was not authorized to talk about it publicly. The actor will play the man who is being tortured by the hero (Brolin) in a key revenge scene.

Fans of the original will remember the scene as perhaps the most visceral and disturbing of the film. Protagonist  Dae-suOh exacts vengeance on a man who once guarded him by extracting his teeth one-by-one with the claw end of a hammer.

The new film, which begins shooting this fall in Louisiana and New York, won’t go with the tooth removal, instead inflicting a different kind of torture (we won’t spoil it here, but it’s plenty painful).

Jackson and Lee recently appeared together at the BET Awards in this spoof that quickly went viral.The actor of course also recently starred as Nick Fury in ““The Avengers” and will soon be seen in a movie about as anticipated as “Oldboy”–Quentin Tarantino“s“Django Unchained.”

In a separate development, Hornsby has joined the new ”Oldboy” as the film’s composer.  The piano virtuoso has a longstanding relationship with Lee; among other things, he composed the score for Lee’s basketball documentary “Kobe Doin’ Work” and the auteur’s new “Red Hook Summer“giving the spiritually themed coming-of-age story a melancholy and wistful spin.

Paul Ryan Doubles Down on Romney-Ryan Medicare Plan, While Parading Mother Betty Ryan Douglas On Stage at FL Event

Official portrait of Congressman .

Paul Ryan Doubles Down on Romney-Ryan Medicare Plan, Which He Really Wants to End. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney’s bold veep pick, paraded his mother, Betty Ryan Douglas, on stage ahead of his speech at The Villages, the largest retirement community in the U.S., while doubling down on his much criticized plan to partially privatize Medicare. Um, his mother would be just fine, considering he and his siblings, have the financial means to take care of her. I am also pretty sure she has a nice nest egg. That’s more than many other seniors have. So, it’s pretty disingenuous to parade his mother across the stage at a pro-Romney event. Why not take her into the hardest hit areas in Florida? I’m sure he could find some blighted areas in Miami and Jacksonville.

Here are five myths Ryan told seniors as he sought to transform his unpopular Medicare plan into a political asset from Think Progress:

[table id=2 /]

Enhanced by Zemanta

Off-Duty Philadelphia Police Officer Moses Walker Jr. Killed in a Possible Robbery Attempt

Philadelphia police officer Moses Walker Jr. killed

Off-Duty Philadelphia Police Officer Moses Walker Jr. Killed in a Possible Robbery Attempt (MyFoxPhilly)

FALLEN LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER:  Off-duty Philadelphia police officer Moses Walker Jr., was shot and killed as he walked on the street after he had finished his shift. He was shot several times around 5:50 a.m. Saturday morning, four blocks from the 22nd District police station, MyFoxPhilly.com reports. He was not only a 19-year veteran of the police force, he was also a pastor at the Deliverance Evangelistic Church. He was pronounced dead at Hahnemann University Hospital.

Rewards totaling $30,000 has been announced for information leading to an arrest in the case. He was reportedly walking to public transportation in plain clothes and was carrying a backpack when he was murdered. The motive is believed to have been robbery. His service weapon was found underneath his body.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Moses Walker Jr. He is survived by his mother and five siblings. This was a senseless act of violence and we urge anyone with information, no matter how small, to call the police.

‘The Expendables 2′ Leads Friday Box Office, Whitney Houston’s Last Movie ‘Sparkle’ Earns $4.55 Million

The Expendables 2

‘The Expendables 2′ Leads Friday Box Office, Whitney Houston’s Last Movie ‘Sparkle’ Earns $4.55 Million

Friday’s box office results promises a race for the number 1 spot for the weekend. Lionsgate and Millennium action extravaganza The Expendables 2 easily topped Friday’s box office, though it trailed the original 2010 film, earning $10.5 million for a projected weekend opening in the $28 million range. Expendables 2 has a noteworthy cast, including Sylvester Stallone, Chuck Norris, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Jason Statham, Bruce Willis, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Terry Crews and Randy Couture.

Bourne Legacy took the no. 2 spot on Friday, earning $5.3 million. with the expected range for the weekend being $16.5 million to $17 million range, putting its 10-day domestic total close to a whopping $70 million. TriStar’s musical drama, Sparkle, starring the late Whitney Houston and Jordin Sparks is in a dead heat with Focus Feature’s family flick ParaNorman, for the No. 3 spot.

ParaNorman, which is about a boy who must stop the destruction of his hometown by a witch’s spell, is voiced by is voiced by Casey AffleckTempestt BledsoeJeff GarlinJohn Goodman, Anna Kendrick andLeslie Mann, earned $4.59 million. Sparkle, Whitney Houston’s final movie, grossed $4.55 million Friday. I am not one for musicals, but I will give the movie an A-. It was just that good. It is expected to gross in the $12.5-$14 million range for the weekend.

“Tonight Show” Cuts 20 Jobs, Host Jay Leno Takes ‘Tremendous Pay-Cut’ To Save Jobs

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

“Tonight Show” Cuts 20 Jobs, Host Jay Leno Takes ‘Tremendous Pay-Cut’ To Save Jobs (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

SHOCK:  The “Tonight Show” lays off 20 staffers and Jay Leno takes a pay cut to save jobs. Who knew they were struggling to that degree.Deadline Hollywood reports producers were forced to take pay cuts or lose their jobs and Leno took what is being described as a “tremendous” pay cut to “save as many people’s jobs as he could.” The Tonight Show is the #1 late night talk show in both households and demographics, except for some anomalies when Leno does get beaten, Deadline Hollywood reports.

“I don’t think ad sales are off. I just think the people who bought this company, Comcast, wants to go through everything at NBC and get their money back,” an NBC insider tells me. ”It’s hard to go through those kinds of cuts. It’s more a network issue than a late-night issue. And I would say that Jay doesn’t get credit for digging out of a gigantic hole every single night. He’s a very valuable guy to NBC and someday everyone will understand that. He does a great job.”

[…]

Leno’s new salary is reportedly $27M-$30 million a year. He reportedly brings home another $15M-$20M a year from his other gigs.  Source: Deadline Hollywood

Enhanced by Zemanta

TNT Renews ‘Perception’ for Another Season, Stars Eric McCormack Playing Paranoid Schizophrenic

Eric McCormack paranoid schizophrenic in Perception

TNT Renews ‘Perception’ for Another Season, Stars Eric McCormack Playing Paranoid Schizophrenic

From Deadline Hollywood: TNT has ordered a second season of Perception, its freshman drama starring Eric McCormack. Perception, produced by ABC Studios, currently ranks second behind TNT’s just launched Closer spinoff Major Crimes among basic cable’s top new scripted series this year. The network has ordered 13 episodes for season two, which is slated to air in 2013. “Perception has captured the imagination of TNT’s audience of armchair detectives with wonderfully intricate cases, emotionally charged situations and, of course, a terrific cast led by Eric McCormack,” said TNT’s head of programming Michael Wright. Perception, which airs Mondays at 10 PM, is averaging 7 million viewers (Live + 7), with 1.8 million adults 18-49 and 2.3 million adults 25-54.

From Hinterland Entertainment:  It’s good to see the network tackling mental health issues in a positive light, which confronts many in our society. McCormack plays an eccentric neuroscience professor with paranoid schizophrenia and helps the FBI solve complex crimes.

Disney and Marvel Studios Team Up for The Avengers Sequel, To Hit Theaters May 1, 2015

Avengers sequel coming May 1, 2015

Disney and Marvel Studios “The Avengers” Sequel Coming May 1, 2015 (Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury in Avengers 1)

The Avengers” sequel is planned for May 1, 2015 and promises to be another blockbuster for Disney and Marvel Studios. The “Avengers,” which starred Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), took in $1.5 billion worldwide. Jack Whedon will be back to write and direct the flick.