As if we need another reality show, TV One is only too happy to oblige with “R&B Divas,” which features Faith Evans, Monifah Carter, Nicci Gilbert, Syleena Johnson and Keke Wyatt. It must be because the management at TV One, founded by Cathy Hughes, loves to make a mockery out of blacks on television. “R&B Divas” debuts on August 20. Um, with the exception of Faith Evans, the other cast-members couldn’t possibly think they are credible, much less music icons to emulate. Sorry, but this will be the typical drama-filled show that doesn’t portray black women in a positive light.
TV One already shows that there will be drama, as evidenced from their press release on the show:
They are all juggling myriad personal challenges and responsibilities in addition to making music – including raising families. Faith prepares for a major move as she maintains her businesses and helps manage the estate of a music icon. She also launches a new hair care product line, Glass Hair Products. Monifah reveals a bombshell that could drive a wedge between them. Syleena makes a career decision that will affect her entire family and put additional strain on her financially.
Here are the bios on the ladies:
- Faith Evans. She won a Grammy for “I’ll Be Missing You,” her tribute to her late husband Notorious B.I.G. She has three platinum albums under her belt, too. The 39-year-old singer has six total Grammy nominations.
– Nicci Gilbert. She’s the lead singer/songwriter with Brownstone and was nominated for a Grammy for their biggest hit in 1995, “If You Love Me.’ While starring in Tyler Perry’s hit play “Meet the Browns,” Nicci decided to pursue a career as a playwright and producer.
– Monifah. She has a Wikipedia page and a few minor R&B hits under her belt but has never broken it big. She has worked with the likes of Heavy D and Teddy Riley.
– Syleena Johnson, a soul singer, has released several albums. She too has never had any major hits but has built a following. (Her Facebook page has 12,000 followers.)
- Keke Wyatt had a platinum-selling solo debut album “Soul Sista” but her career suffered aftershe was arrested for stabbing her husband. (Charges were later dropped. She herself later said she was a victim of domestic violence and merely defending herself.) Source: AJC
You will also remember Faith Evans had her brush with the law in Atlanta and was married to former drug dealer Notorious B.I.G. But everyone deserves a second chance. Um, Nicci Gilbert thinks she’s an actress since she appeared in one Tyler Perry film and an episode of “Martin,” where her acting skills were pathetic. She also popped on on Dr. Drew shortly after Whitney Houston died, trying to act as though she knew the singer intimately and is an authority on relationships and psychology.
Latest posts by HinterlandGazetteStaff (see all)
- Cairns Tragedy: Mersane Warria Arrested in Murders of 8 Kids Inside Her Home - December 19, 2014
- Steve Whittingham Charged in Double Homicide of Wife & Alleged Lover - December 18, 2014
- Actor Stephen Collins Admits to Sexual Abuse of 3 Underage Girls - December 17, 2014