September 16 weekend box office results: The weekend box office results improved over the results from a week ago, with Sony Gems’ Resident Evil: Retribution, the fifth installment in the series starring Milla Jovovich, taking the No. 1 spot with $21.1 million, followed by Pixar’s G-rated animation powerhouse Finding Nemo (3D), in second place with $18 million, followed by Lionsgate The Possession in the No. 3 spot with $6 million, Weinstein’s Lawless took fourth place with $4.2 million and rounding out the top five was Focus Pictures ParaNorman with $3 million.
The Weinstein Co.’s The Master, starring Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman, as two men enmeshed in mind games, set a new record for a stellar opening on the strong momentum it built at the Venice and Toronto film festivals. The Master grossed $730,000 for September 14 – 16.
Weekend Box Office Results
1. Resident Evil: Retribution $21.1 million
2. Finding Nemo (3D) $18 million
3. The Possession $6 million
4. Lawless $4.2 million
5. ParaNorman $3.04 million
6. The Expendables 2 $3.03 million
7. The Words $3 million
8. The Bourne Legacy $2.9 million
9. The Odd Life of Timothy Green $2.5 million
10. The Campaign $2.4 million