Isn’t it high time for the Republican Party to “flush Rush Limbaugh” and his racist rhetoric from its ranks if it ever has any hopes of attracting blacks, Hispanics and Asians? Well, a few conservatives are leading the charge and voicing their disgust with the de facto leader of the GOP. Conor Friedersdorf and David Frum are two who issued a scathing rebuke of the windbag:
Conor Friedersdorf of The Atlantic Limbaugh to task for insensitive comments about race. Friedersdorf’s column, entitled, The GOP Must Choose: Rush Limbaugh or Minority Voters, slammed Limbaugh saying, “talk like [Limbaugh's] never ceases to amaze me with its incredible lack of self-awareness.” He included a list of complaints about Limbaugh. Here are a few:
1) Stop saying things like, “Why doesn’t the Republican Party get credit for Condoleezza Rice?”2) Stop the shameless race-baiting, like telling listeners, “Obama’s America, white kids getting beat up on school buses now. You put your kids on a school bus, you expect safety but in Obama’s America the white kids now get beat up with the black kids cheering, ‘Yay, right on, right on, right on, right on,’ and, of course, everybody says the white kid deserved it, he was born a racist, he’s white.”
3) Understand that when you commission a song called “Barack the Magic Negro” for your radio show, the average black person is going to take offense. And that if you pretend to be surprised when they do take offense, no one will believe you.
6) Any gains you may make in the black community may be jeopardized if you once again muse, “Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”
7) As you try to understand Obama’s presidency on your show, it may be a good idea to avoidreading pieces with titles like “Obama, The African Colonial” aloud, then concluding that Obama is “more African in his roots than he is American” and is “behaving like an African colonial despot.”
8) Given your track-record of quotes like the ones previously discussed, it’s probably best to avoid jokes such as, “Barack Obama has picked up another endorsement: Halfrican-American actress Halle Berry.”
David Frum also issued a scathing rebuke of Rush Limbaugh, though he didn’t call him by name. He said the Republican Party has “been fleeced, exploited and lied to by a conservative entertainment complex.” Ouch. Here are his comments:
From the Daily Kos:
The Flush Rush group on Facebook gained 433 new members yesterday.
In other news, CBS has three radio stations that carry Rush — St. Louis, Las Vegas, and Hartford. I thought it was of interest that CBS has just reported radio revenue is down five percent. Could be a relationship, since radio industry analyst Norm Pattiz has reported ad revenues down as much as fifty percent in some markets due to Rush.
Here’s an audio of Rush Limbaugh insulting Cubans:
Latest posts by Janet Shan (see all)
- Michael Zehaf-Bibeau ID’d as Suspected Gunman in Ottawa Shooting Rampage - October 22, 2014
- Cpl. Nathan Cirillo ID’d as Soldier Killed in Ottawa War Memorial Shooting - October 22, 2014
- Report: Michael Brown Struggled with Darren Wilson Before Fatal Shooting - October 22, 2014