GUN DEBATE: Gun ownership in the U.S. is at an all-time, as gun violence continues to plague certain pockets of the U.S. Six month old Jonylah Watkins was shot multiple times on a Chicago street in a drive-by shooting, as her father changed her diapers. She died Tuesday morning.
Numbers Sleuth found a nearly 1-to-1 ratio, Americans lead the world in gun ownership. But does that make us any safer? No. Not when innocent people are losing their lives everyday to gun violence.
REPORT: THE UNITED STATES OF GUN OWNERSHIP
- 75% of American gun owners have two or more guns
- The U.S. accounts for 4.4% of the world’s population and 46% of the world’s guns
- Wyoming leads gun ownership by state (60%); D.C. is last (4%)
- 2 out of 5 guns sold in the U.S. are without background checks
- For every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed suicides.
Latest posts by Janet Shan (see all)
- Newly Released Video of Cops Shooting Kajieme Powell at Odds with Their Version - August 20, 2014
- St. Ann Police Lt. Ray Albers Suspended After Pointing Gun, Threatening Ferguson Protesters - August 20, 2014
- Don Lemon: National Guard Heard Using N-Word to Describe Ferguson Protesters - August 20, 2014