Paris Mayor Threatens to Sue Fox News Over “No-Go Zones” Comment

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo to Sue Fox News for "No-Go Zones" Comment

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo to Sue Fox News for “No-Go Zones” Comment (Photo Credit: Wikipedia)

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo is threatening to sue Fox News after “terrorism analyst” Steve Emerson claimed there are “no-go zones” in Paris, as their are in Birmingham. There is virtually no chance that Fox News will be sued in the U.S., but there is a law from 1881 in France that they could sue on those grounds for the insult.

Mayor Hidalgo leveled the threat during an interview with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Tuesday. She said, “When we’re insulted, and when we’ve had an image, then I think we’ll have to sue, I think we’ll have to go to court in order to have these words removed.”

Hidalgo added, “The image of Paris has been prejudiced, and the honor of Paris has been prejudiced.”

Fox News terrorism expert Steve Emerson apologizes for no-go zones comment

Fox News terrorism expert Steve Emerson apologizes for no-go zones comment

Emerson, who claims to be an expert on Islamic extremist groups, appeared on Fox News “Justice” show, hosted by Jeanine Pirro, following the Paris terrorist attacks. He claimed that Birmingham, which is located 100 miles from London, was a “totally Muslim city where non-Muslims don’t go in.”

Steve Emerson also said, that in “parts of London there are actual Muslim religious police who beat and actually wound seriously anyone who doesn’t dress according to Muslim religious attire.”

Prime Minister David Cameron dismissed Steve Emerson as an “idiot.” Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is digging in on the assertion that no-go zones exist, even when confronted by CNN correspondent Max Foster in London on Monday.

Fox News personalities have been apologizing profusely since the network was ridiculed on social media for the comments.

Here’s Steven Emerson’s full interview on “no-go zones:”

Watch Bobby Jindal dig in on “no-go zones” comments:

Nigerian Islamist Group Boko Haram Kidnaps 80 in Cameroon

Nigerian Islamist Group Boko Haram Kidnaps 80 in Cameroon

Nigerian Islamist Group Boko Haram Kidnaps 80 in Cameroon

Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram kidnapped about 80 people, mostly women and children, in neighboring Cameroon.

In the latest attack, the suspected militants “burst into two villages in the Tourou area,” a police officer told AFP.

The kidnappings, among the largest abductions on Cameroonian soil since the militants began expanding their zone of operations across the border last year, came as neighboring Chad deployed troops to support Cameroon’s forces in the area.

“According to our initial information, around 30 adults, most of them herders, and 50 young girls and boys aged between 10 and 15 years were abducted,” a senior army officer deployed to northern Cameroon told Reuters.

He said the early-morning attack had targeted the village of Mabass and several other villages along the porous border with Nigeria. Soldiers intervened and exchanged fire with the raiders for around two hours, he added. Source: Reuters

Three people were reportedly killed in the attack. The West continues to remain virtually silent on the atrocities being inflicted by Boko Haram.

 

Where’s the International Condemnation for Boko Haram Massacre in Baga?

Where's the International Condemnation for Boko Haram Massacre in Baga?

Where’s the International Condemnation for Boko Haram Massacre in Baga?

Where’s the international outrage for the slaughter of 2,000 people by Boko Haram? They overran the Nigerian town of Baga and surrounding villages on January 3. Bodies are still scattered about the town on January 12. It seems that the White House and Congressional leaders are mum as the militants use children as suicide bombers. It is a sad commentary that the Boko Haram atrocities are reduced to a passing mention on news channels.

Here’s more from CNN:

The attackers sped into a Nigerian town with grenade launchers — their gunfire and explosions shattering the early morning calm. As terrified residents scattered into bushes in Baga town and surrounding villages, the gunmen unloaded motorcycles from their trucks and followed in hot pursuit.

Residents hid under scant brush. Bullets pierced them. Some sought refuge in their homes. They were burned alive.

[…]

On Saturday, explosives strapped to a girl detonated at a crowded marketplace in Nigeria, killing at least 20 people. Although no one has claimed responsibility, Boko Haram militants are the main suspects.

But the scale of the early January attack — the death of hundreds, possibly thousands — defies belief.

The attacks started at dawn on January 3 and continued throughout the weekend, according to residents.

Amnesty International called the massacre Boko Haram’s “deadliest act.”

“If reports that the town was largely razed to the ground and that hundreds or even as many as 2,000 civilians were killed are true, this marks a disturbing and bloody escalation of Boko Haram’s ongoing onslaught,” said Daniel Eyre, Nigeria researcher for Amnesty International.

The Nigerian military said the description of the attack as “the deadliest” was “quite valid.”

“The attack on the town by the bloodhounds and their activities since January 3 should convince well meaning people all over the world that Boko Haram is the evil all must collaborate to end,” it said.

Jos Archbishop Ignatius Kaigama blasted the West for ignoring the plight of Nigerians under siege by Boko Haram. He told BBC’s Newsday that the massacre in Baga shows that the Nigerian military cannot tackle the terrorist group.

Kaigama said, “It is a monumental tragedy. It has saddened all of Nigeria. But… we seem to be helpless. Because if we could stop Boko Haram, we would have done it right away. But they continue to attack, and kill and capture territories… with such impunity.”

German Tabloid Hamburger Morgenpost that Ran Charlie Hebdo Cartoon, Firebombed

German Tabloid Hamburger Morgenpost that Ran Charlie Hebdo Cartoon, Firebombed

German Tabloid Hamburger Morgenpost that Ran Charlie Hebdo Cartoon, Firebombed (Photo Credit: Wikipedia)

German tabloid Hamburger Morgenpost that ran a Charlie Hebdo cartoon was firebombed. No-one was at the tabloid, located in the port city of Hamburg, at the time of the bombing.

Hamburg police said it was “too soon” to tell whether there was a connection between the Charlie Hebdo tribute and the firebombing, which would be the first attack against the cartoons since Wednesday’s massacre of 12 people at the French weekly.

“Rocks and then a burning object were thrown through the window,” a police spokesman told AFP.

“Two rooms on lower floors were damaged but the fire was put out quickly.”

The Hamburger Morgenpost, known locally as the MOPO, had splashed the Charlie Hebdo cartoons on its front page after the massacre at the Paris publication with the headline “This much freedom must be possible!”

Police said the attack had occurred at about 0120 GMT and that two men, aged 35 and 39, seen acting suspiciously near the scene were detained and are being questioned. Source: Yahoo News

Family of Slain Paris Grocery Store Gunman Amedy Coulibaly “Condemn These Acts”

Family of Slain Paris Grocery Store Gunman Amedy Coulibaly "Condemn These Acts"

Family of Slain Paris Grocery Store Gunman Amedy Coulibaly “Condemn These Acts”

The family of slain Paris kosher grocery store gunman Amedy Coulibaly issued a statement offering their “sincere condolences” to the victims’ families, the AFP reports.

The statement reads, “We condemn these acts. We absolutely do not share these extreme ideas. We hope there will not be any confusion between these odious acts and the Muslim religion.”

Amedy Coulibaly was killed by police on Friday after he killed four hostages at a Jewish grocery store. He also fatally shot a rookie policewoman, Clarissa Jean-Philippe, in Montrouge on Thursday. French authorities are seeking his “wife,” Hayat Boumeddiene, who they believe is in Syria.

The murdered hostages have been identified as Yohan Cohen, 22, Yoav Hattab, 21, Philippe Braham and Francois-Michel Saada.

Hostage Situation At Vincennes Grocery Store Ends, Montrouge Shooting Suspects Named

Hostage Situation At Vincennes Grocery Store, Names of Montrouge Shooting Suspects Released

Hostage Situation At Vincennes Grocery Store, Names of Montrouge Shooting Suspects Named

***HOSTAGE SITUATION ENDS AT VINCENNES GROCERY STORE, TERRORIST KILLED. SAID AND CHERIF KOUACHI KILLED IN DAMMARTIN-EN-GOELE SIEGE***

A second hostage situation is underway Paris, this time a gunman has taken hostages at a Vincennes grocery store. Deaths have been reported in this latest hostage situation. This comes as Charlie Hebdo magazine attackers are holding a hostage as they are holed up in a printing building in Dammartin-en-Goele.

Police have released the names of the suspects in the Montrouge shooting that left a rookie policewoman, Clarissa Jean-Philippe, dead and a street cleaner wounded. Amedy Coulibaly and Hayat Boumeddiene are wanted in connection with the shootings.

Breaking News.com reports “French officials have now linked the Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris (and the hostage situation involving two suspects in Dammartin-en-Goele), the fatal shooting of a police officer in Montrouge and the hostage situation at a grocery store in the eastern Paris neighborhood of Vincennes.”

Paris Terror Attacks: Policewoman Clarissa Jean-Philippe Killed, Street Cleaner Also Shot

Paris Terror Attacks: Policewoman Killed, Street Cleaner Shot in Face

Paris Terror Attacks: Policewoman Killed, Street Cleaner Shot in Face (Photo Credit: Daily Mail Video Screengrab)

PARIS TERROR ATTACKS:  A policewoman identified as Clarissa Jean-Philippe, was fatally shot and a street cleaner shot in the face during an encounter with a gunman, described as a “North African wielding an assault rifle and wearing a bullet-proof vest” in the latest terrorist attack in Paris within a 24-hour period.

The latest incidents occurred in Montrouge shortly before dawn on Thursday. An unidentified policewoman stopped to investigate a traffic incident when she was shot in the back. Two men tried to confront the gunman. One is in critical condition after being shot in the face.

Police 'surround' Charlie Hebdo attackers Said and Cherif Kouachi

Paris Terror Attacks:  Police ‘surround’ Charlie Hebdo attackers Said Kouachi (r) and Cherif Kouachi (l) Photo Credit: French Police

This comes as French law enforcement authorities are said to have surrounded the brothers, Cherif and Said Kouachi, who killed 12, including four cartoonists, at the Charlie Hebdo offices on Wednesday. The men have reportedly barricaded themselves in a house in the northern town of Crépy-en-Valois.

Charlie Hebdo Terrorists ID’d as Said and Cherif Kouachi, Hamyd Mourad

Charlie Hebdo Terrorists ID'd as Said and Cherif Kouachi, Hamyd Mourad

Charlie Hebdo Terrorists ID’d as Said and Cherif Kouachi, Hamyd Mourad

Daily Mail:  “Said Kouachi, 34, and Cherif Kouachi, 32, were identified along with Hamyd Mourad, 18, with all three from the Paris commuter town of Gennevilliers. A raid by France’s elite anti-terrorist unit was under way late tonight in Reims as part of the hunt for the gunmen who attacked the newspaper. Either the suspects will be able to escape, or ‘there will be a showdown’, said a member of the unit, urging reporters at the scene to remain ‘vigilant.’”

Separately, some media outlets are censoring Charlie Hebdo satirical cartoons. Um, it’s shameful that there are some in the U.S. cowering in fear instead of exercising their right to a free press under the U.S. Constitution. If you choose not to publish them, that’s one thing, but to blur faces, is an act of cowardice.

The names of those murdered during Paris attacks:

Charb – whose real name was Stephane Charbonnier, 47, artist and publisher of Charlie Hebdo.

Cabu – whose real name was Jean Cabut, 76, Charlie Hebdo’s lead cartoonist. He had been honoured with the legion of honour, France’s highest decoration, in 2005.

Georges Wolinski – Tuinisian-born artist, 80. Had been drawing cartoons since the 1960s, and worked for Hara-Kiri, a satirical magazine considered a forerunner to Charlie Hebdo.

Tignous – whose real name was Bernard Verlhac, 57, was a member of a group of artists called Cartoonists for Peace.

Bernard Maris – known as “Uncle Bernard”, 68, was an economist and wrote a regular column for Charlie Hebdo.

Honoré – Philippe Honoré, 73, was a cartoonist who had worked for Charlie Hebdo since 1992. He was the artist who drew the last cartoon tweeted by the weekly only moments before the massacre. The cartoon shows the leader of Islamic State, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, presenting his New Year message saying “and especially good health!”

Michel Renaud – a former journalist and political staffer who founded a cultural festival. He was visiting the Charlie Hebdo offices from Clermont-Ferrard.

Mustapha Ourrad – a copy-editor for Charlie Hebdo. Of Algerian descent.

Elsa Cayat – Charlie Hebdo analyst and columnist.

Frederic Boisseau – building maintenance worker.

Franck Brinsolaro – 49-year-old policeman appointed to head security for Charb. He was the father of a one-year-old daughter.

Ahmed Merabet – 42 and a French Muslim. A police officer and member of the 11th arrondissement brigade. Source: Guardian

 

4 Cartoonists, Including Stephane Charbonnier, Among 12 Killed in Paris Attack

4 Cartoonists, Including Stephane Charbonnier, Among 12 Killed in Paris Attack

4 Cartoonists, Including Stephane Charbonnier, Among 12 Killed in Paris Attack (Photo Credit: Mediaite Video Screengrab)

Four cartoonists,  including chief editor Stephane Charbonnier, are among those killed in Paris attack on Charlie Hebdo magazine. @fgeffardAFP, @France24_en Economist and writer Bernard Maris is among those killed at Hebdo offices.

Charlie Hebdo mocked the ISIS in its last tweet:

Paris terror attack caught on video (WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES):

More video of Paris terror attack at Hebdo Magazine:

More from The New York Times:

Xavier Castaing, the head of communications for the Paris Police Headquarters, said that 11 people had died, The Associated Press reported. However, a senior French prosecutor said the toll was 12, including two police officers, in the early afternoon.

The news channel France Info quoted a witness as saying that he saw the episode from a nearby building in the heart of the French capital.

“About a half an hour ago, two black-hooded men entered the building with Kalashnikovs,” the witness, Benoît Bringer, told the station.

“A few minutes later, we heard lots of shots,” he said, adding that the men were then seen fleeing the building.

Mr. Castaing, the police spokesman, said that the three armed men, wearing masks, had forced their way into the offices of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo and had fired indiscriminately at people in the lobby, hitting many. He said that they were carrying AK-47 weapons, and that the attack had lasted several minutes before the attackers fled by car.

The police said that an abandoned car used by the gunmen had been discovered by police in the 20th Arrondissement of Paris, a neighborhood with a large immigrant population.

Separately, the “headquarters of media group PRISA is being evacuated in Madrid after suspect package was received.” — Breaking News

Jason Polanco, Joshua Kemp Arrested in Shooting of 2 NYPD Officers in the Bronx

Jason Polanco, 2 Others Arrested in Shooting of 2 NYPD Officers in the Bronx

Jason Polanco, 2 Others Arrested in Shooting of 2 NYPD Officers in the Bronx

Jason Polanco and Joshua Kemp were arrested in connection with the shooting of two NYPD officers Officers Andrew Dossi, 30, and Aliro Pellerano, 38. A second suspect has been identified as Elio Rivera. He was with Polanco when they were arrested. The third suspect had checked into a hospital suffering from gunshot wounds.

Here’s more from the NY Daily News:

A suspected cop shooter was busted Tuesday in the Bronx, hours after opening fire on two officers from point-blank range after a grocery story robbery, sources said.

Fugitive Jason Polanco was on the run since fleeing the shootout that followed the late-night holdup, sources said, and he was arrested at Tremont and Westchester Ave.

A shocking videotape captured a gun-toting grocery store bandit firing point-blank on the two cops as they frisked his sidekick on a Bronx sidewalk, a police source said.

“The video is sickening,” the source said Tuesday as the injured officers recovered from their gunshot wounds.

The gunman, after the robbery of a nearby deli, ducked inside a Chinese restaurant, bought an iced tea and then opened fire on the unsuspecting officers from less than 5 feet away.

This comes as there are reports that Officer Dossi was not “happy” Mayor Bill de Blasio came to visit him at the hospital, according to the New York Post.

Joshua Kemp had turned up at a local hospital for a gunshot wound to the bicep. Jason Polanco was charged with five counts of attempted murder of a police officer.