Leon Ford, who was left paralyzed after officers shot him during a November 2012 traffic stop on Pittsburgh’s East End, was found not guilty on two counts of aggravated assault. The jury deadlocked on all the other charges.
Ford was charged after fleeing from officers during a traffic stop. They opened fire after fearing for their lives.
The trial wrapped up last week after days of testimony that included police officers, use of force experts and Ford himself.
Ford took the stand last Monday.
He told the jury he thought he was going to die once gunfire rang out at the end of the traffic stop. He testified he was terrified when police kept insisting he might have been Lamont Ford.
His wheelchair was lifted onto the witness stand before the jury arrived, and he testified the tone was set when the first officer to approach him snatched his license from him. Things went downhill once it took so long to determine who he was.
“I didn’t know if they were going to beat me, shoot me or tax me,” said Ford.
He claimed that the car started moving before he knew it and he had no idea an officer got into the car until he heard gunshots and smelled smoke.
The prosecution contends Ford was trying to push the police officer out of the car, when he was shot. Source: Pittsburgh CBS Local