More rumblings on the Bridgehazi scandal rocking Gov. Chris Christie’s administration and threatening to derail his presidential aspirations. The NY Times reports that the U.S. attorney has issued a subpoena to Christie’s reelection campaign. Um, eek, a rat…a big one.
Federal prosecutors in New Jersey conducting a preliminary inquiry into accusations that aides to Gov. Chris Christie shut down access lanes to the George Washington Bridge as political retribution have issued grand jury subpoenas to Mr. Christie’s re-election campaign and to the state Republican Party, the campaign’s lawyer said Thursday.
A person briefed on the matter said the prosecutors had also issued grand jury subpoenas to a number of the 20 people and entities — including both potential witnesses and people who have come under scrutiny in the inquiry — that received subpoenas last week from a New Jersey legislative committee whose investigation largely parallels the federal inquiry.
“We can confirm that the Christie for Governor re-election campaign and the New Jersey Republican State Committee received subpoenas for documents from the U.S. Attorney’s office, in addition to the subpoena the campaign previously received from the state legislative committee,” the lawyer, Mark D. Sheridan, said in an email. Source: NY Times