MIT CAMPUS POLICE OFFICER DIES:  More bad news from Massachusetts as a MIT police officer dies after being shot on campus late Thursday night. The shooting reportedly occurred at about 10:30 p.m. near Building 32 (Stata).

NBC affiliate WHDH said a search for the gunman was underway. An MIT police office was shot and killed, according to the Mass. State Police. The Building 32 area was cordoned off. The university warned students and staff to “stay clear of area until further notice.” Massachusetts State Police was assisting Cambridge and MIT police in the investigation. The search for a suspect is ongoing. S0urce

The campus police officer was reporting to a disturbance call when he was shot multiple times. The shooting comes days after the Boston Marathon twin bombing that left three dead and many injured. The FBI released photographs and a video of the suspects, who appear to be two white males.

The update on the MIT emergency website states:  “Responding agencies are actively investigating the situation, which remains very fluid at this time.  Police continue to sweep the campus.  Stay indoors and remain inside until further notice.”

UPDATE#1 (04/19/13 1:18 A.M.):  Police were led on a chase into Watertown, where a gunfight and explosives were detonated. Unconfirmed reports, one suspect may have been taken to Beth Israel hospital.

UPDATE#2 (04/19/13 1:34 A.M.) #BREAKINGNEWS Police in Boston have suspect in campus officer’s murder in custody, alleged accomplice at large.

Press release from Middlesex District Attorney:

For Immediate Release April 19, 2013
Contact: Stephanie Chelf Guyotte/MaryBeth Long

CAMBRIDGE —  Massachusetts State Police and Cambridge Police are investigating a fatal shooting this evening in Cambridge, Middlesex Acting District Attorney MichaelPelgro and Cambridge Police Commissioner Robert Haas announced this evening.

An MIT campus police officer responding to a report of a disturbance in the area ofVasser and Main streets was reportedly shot.  According to authorities, the officer was found evidencing multiple gunshot wounds.  He was transported to the hospital and pronounced deceased.

Authorities launched an immediate investigation into the circumstances of the shooting.

There are no other victims.  No arrests have been made. The investigation remains ongoing.