AUSTIN (KXAN) — This week, Austin Department of Transportation officials gave the Mobility Committee a presentation of a parking overhaul plan that includes paid parking on South Congress Avenue.
The presentation noted the following issues related to parking in the area:
- High demand for parking without turnover
- The current 2-hour time-limited zones are inconsistent and create problems for enforcement
- Need more law enforcement and a way to pay for it
- Residential Parking Restrictions (RPP) are inconsistent
- The adjacent street parking lot is overcrowded, causing quality of life problems for residents.
- It is difficult for business/trade workers to find parking,
- Many businesses along Congress South do not have off-street parking.
In addition to paid parking, the plan will also include consistent parking enforcement and available off-street parking options.
Staff is still finalizing the application and plans to submit it to the City Council in March.
KXAN is discussing this idea with stakeholders, stay tuned this afternoon. For now, you can click here to see a presentation of the parking plan.