Texas

City of Tyler Endorses Grand Boulevard Improvements and Traffic Light Upgrades

Tyler officials continue to work to improve traffic and safety in Tyler. The Tyler City Council on Wednesday approved two projects, one to improve safety on busy Grand Boulevard and the other to upgrade traffic lights.

The Board voted to enter into a pre-funding agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation for two projects of the Road Safety Improvement Program.

The first project is an LED turn-by-turn warning system and sidewalk profiling to be installed at the back turn on West Grande Boulevard.

An LED turn warning system and pavement profile markings were recommended to improve safety in the West Grande Boulevard Reversal Study.

The construction cost of the project is currently estimated at $134,704.

The Federal Highway Safety Program will fund 90 percent of the cost, and the city will cover the remaining 10 percent through the Half Cent Sales Tax Program.

The project is scheduled to be put up for auction in August.

The second project will upgrade 106 of 149 intersections in Tyler.

The upgrade will include the replacement of existing lights with 3,700 LED signal indicators and the installation of reflective backplates for the signals.

“Traffic light backplates are the thin plates that surround the traffic light heads. They improve the visibility of the signal due to the contrasting background,” said traffic engineer Cameron Williams. “The addition of a reflective surround on the rear plates further enhances traffic light visibility.

“The yellow reflective strip can alert drivers to crossing points during a power outage when the signals are dark, i.e. when the non-reflective signal heads and rear panels are not visible.”

These upgrades are expected to reduce accidents and collisions by about 15 percent.

The total construction cost of the project is estimated at more than $1.47 million.

The Federal Highway Safety Improvement Program will cover 90 percent of the cost, and TxDOT will cover the remaining 10 percent, leaving the city with zero costs.

Content Source

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button