The jackpot was the biggest since someone from California won a record $2.04 billion Powerball prize on November 8th.
WASHINGTON — The Mega Millions winning drought has widened to 23 consecutive draws after no one matched all six numbers Tuesday night.
The $785 million jackpot won in Tuesday night’s draw was the biggest since someone from California won a record-breaking $2.04 billion Powerball prize on Nov. 8. It has now risen to about $940 million.
The winning numbers on Tuesday, January 3rd were 25-29-33-41-44 and Mega Ball 18. Megaplier was 4X.
Although no one won the top prize, six people matched the first five numbers and won at least $1 million. Players from Maryland, Texas and Virginia won $1 million; three players from Arizona, Mississippi, and South Dakota won a million dollar prize using the Megaplier, resulting in $4 million each.
This mind blowingly huge jackpot is for the winner who chooses to receive an annuity payout for 29 years. Almost all winners opt for a one-time cash payment.
The next draw will take place on Friday, January 6th.
The top prize is the sixth largest jackpot in US history. No one guessed all six numbers of the game for more than two months. There have been 23 draws in a row without a big winner, which is no surprise given that the odds of the top prize are only one in 302.6 million.
Lottery players have seen several chances for a major jackpot in 2022. In addition to the $2 billion Powerball, Mega Millions also broke the $1 billion mark last July.
What are the biggest US lottery jackpots ever won?
1. $2.04 billion Powerball November 8, 2022 (one ticket from California)
2. $1.586 billion Powerball, January 13, 2016 (three tickets from California, Florida and Tennessee)
3. $1.537 billion Mega Millions October 23, 2018 (one ticket from South Carolina)
4. $1.337 billion Mega Millions July 29, 2022 (one ticket from Illinois)
5. $1.05 billion Mega Millions on January 22, 2021 (one ticket from Michigan)
6. $768.4 million Powerball March 27, 2019 (one ticket from Wisconsin)
7. $758.7M Powerball August 23, 2017 (one ticket from Massachusetts)
8. $731.1M Powerball January 20, 2021 (one ticket from Maryland)
9. $699.8 million Powerball October 4, 2021 (one ticket from California)
10. $687.8 million Powerball October 27, 2018 (two tickets from Iowa and New York)
The Associated Press contributed to this report.