No matter how long it takes, someone will eventually match all six numbers and win the Mega Millions jackpot, now considered the fifth largest in US history.
WASHINGTON. Can anyone, after nearly three months of losing the lottery, break the trend on Tuesday night and win the $1.1 billion Mega Millions jackpot?
No matter how long it takes, the odds of winning the top lottery prize remain the same at 1 in 302.6 million. But someone will eventually match all six numbers and win what is now the fifth largest jackpot in US history.
The draw is scheduled for 11:00 pm EST, but it usually takes a couple of hours before it becomes clear if there is a winner.
The $1.1 billion prize is for the winner who chooses to receive payments in the form of an annuity with 30 payments over 29 years. Winners generally prefer cash, which is valued at $568.7 million for Tuesday night’s draw.
Mega Millions is played in 45 states plus Washington DC and the US Virgin Islands.
What time does the Mega Millions draw take place?
The draw will take place on Tuesday at 11:00 PM EST (10:00 PM CT, 9:00 PM Mountain Time, 8:00 PM PT).
What days are the Mega Millions draws?
Mega Millions draws currently take place every Tuesday and Friday night.
How late can you buy Mega Millions tickets?
End times for purchasing Mega Millions tickets vary by state. This usually happens within one or two hours of the scheduled draw. However, you should contact your local lottery.
Can I buy Mega Millions tickets online?
Whether you can buy a Mega Millions ticket online or not depends on your location.
Currently, lotteries in only nine states and the District of Columbia offer ways to purchase tickets online or through the lottery mobile app. These states include: Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.
If you don’t live in one of these states, you might be out of luck.
Another option that has emerged in recent years is courier services such as Lotto.com and Jackpocket, which allow players to order lottery tickets through a mobile app or website. These companies go out and buy a ticket on behalf of a player from a licensed retailer in their state, then upload their image to the app and store the physical ticket securely.
But again, location is key, because these courier services are not available everywhere.
Jackpocket, which operates in 13 states and Washington, D.C., has seen a big surge in orders as Powerball climbed into record territory last year.
Jackpocket is currently available in Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Washington DC and West Virginia.
Lotto.com, which also operates in Texas, Colorado, New Jersey and New York, reported that the number of Powerball tickets sold in November increased by 1181% compared to October, as the jackpot topped $1 billion.
What are the biggest US lottery jackpots ever won?
1. $2.04 billion Powerball November 8, 2022 (one ticket from California)
2. $1.586 billion Powerball, January 13, 2016 (three tickets from California, Florida and Tennessee)
3. $1.537 billion Mega Millions October 23, 2018 (one ticket from South Carolina)
4. $1.337 billion Mega Millions July 29, 2022 (one ticket from Illinois)
5. $1.05 billion Mega Millions on January 22, 2021 (one ticket from Michigan)
6. $768.4 million Powerball March 27, 2019 (one ticket from Wisconsin)
7. $758.7M Powerball August 23, 2017 (one ticket from Massachusetts)
8. $731.1M Powerball January 20, 2021 (one ticket from Maryland)
9. $699.8 million Powerball October 4, 2021 (one ticket from California)
10. $687.8 million Powerball October 27, 2018 (two tickets from Iowa and New York)