Although Martin Luther King Jr. Day is only on Monday, the celebrations begin this weekend in memory of the civil rights leader.
Events in East Texas celebrating King’s life and legacy include concerts, marches, parades, and worship services.
• Pre-MLK Day Celebration: 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm, Saturday, Texas African American Museum, 309 W. Martin Luther King Jr., Blvd, Tyler. Speaker: Rev. Charles Lewis, Pastor, COGIC Faith Temple, Jasper. Cost: free. Information: https://www.facebook.com/texasafricanamericanmuseum.
• 3rd Annual MLK Speaking Competition and Showcase: 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, Friday, The Foundry Coffeehouse, 202 S. Broadway Ave., Tyler. Host Mike Guinn. Cash prizes and cups. Cost: free. Information: (972) 704-5001.
• Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration: Starts at 9:00 Monday at the Square with a short program followed by a 9:30 a.m. march to Immaculate Conception Cathedral, 423 S. Broadway for a 10:00 a.m. program. Keynote Speaker: Ret. Air Force Major Beverly J. Russell. Hosted by Tyler’s Race Relations Forum. Information: https://www.facebook.com/ttrrf/
• MLK Opening Reception and Jazz Concert: Friday, 6:00 pm, Longview Community Center, 500 E. Whaley St. Jazz pianist McGuys with an introduction by saxophonist Low D. Reception, 6:00 pm, concert, 7:00 pm. Tickets: $10. Information: https://www.longviewtexas.gov/.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Parade: Saturday, 10:00 am, Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. Starts on Pittman Street and ends at Foster High School.
• Community Festival: Saturday 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm, Broughton Recreation Center, 801 S. MLK Jr. Blvd. Includes vendors, food, children’s activities. Ribbon cutting for renovations at Broughton Leisure Center at 12:00 noon. The entrance is free.
• Humanitarian Award Celebration: Saturday 6:30 pm Parkview Baptist Church 2014 S. Green Street. Speaker: Reverend James Webb. Cost: free.
• MLK, March: 11:00 Monday, starting at Broughton Recreation Center, 801 MLK Jr. Blvd., and end at Mount Olive Baptist Church, 306 S. MLK Jr. Blvd.
• Interfaith Service, Monday, 12:00 pm, Mount Olive Baptist Church, 306 S. MLK Jr. Blvd.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Day: 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. Monday, Texas Theater, st. S. Kilgore, 201. Kilgore men and women of the Alliance receive. Includes food and entertainment vendors.
• MLK Day Celebration: Monday, 12:00 noon, parade starts downtown in front of the courthouse; 13:00, gospel concert, Marshall Convention Center, 2501 E. End Blvd.; 18:30, banquet, Marshall Convention Center. Doors open at 18:00. Guest Speaker: Dallas attorney Leon Carter. Tickets: $35. Organized by Harrison County NAACP Chapter #6185.
• MLK Annual Parade: Sunday, 3:00 p.m. The parade starts downtown at Jefferson High School and ends at the Jefferson Community Center, 501 Haywood St.
• MLK Banquet: Monday 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm, Jefferson Convention & Visitor Center, 305 E. Austin St. An evening of music, speeches, food and fellowship. Organized by the Marion County Diversified Civic and Social Interest Organization (MCDCSCO). Tickets and information: Mary Spearman at (903) 665-3028 or Joyce Smith at (903) 665-2180.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Prayer Breakfast “Unity in Community”: 8:30 am, Saturday, Jarvis Christian University. Cost: $10. Information: http://www.jarvis.edu/.
• MLK Day Camp 2023: 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday, Mount Pleasant Martial Arts, 114 N. Jefferson Ave. Includes games, crafts, challenges, nerf wars. Cost: $30. Information: (903) 380-3734.