Arkansas

Razzies apologizes to 12-year-old Firestarter actress for putting her on ‘worst’ performance list

 

Ken Voroner/Universal Pictures Ryan Kiera Armstrong in the movie Pyro

The Razzie Awards are withdrawing one of their “worst” year picks after backlash over the 12-year-old’s selection.

Earlier this week, The Razzies, an unaffiliated Oscar foil that instead chooses the year’s so-called “worst” films, announced the 2023 nominees. Among the nominees was Firestarter actress Ryan Kira Armstrong in the Worst Actress category. ”, which also included Bryce Dallas Howard, Diane Keaton, Kaya Scodelario and Alicia Silverstone.

People on social media expressed outrage that the organizers included a child actor on their list. Devon Sawa, known for films like Final Destination and Little Giants, spoke out on Twitter, writing in a recently deleted tweet: “The Razis run soulless people. Nominate a 12 year old? grow up amazing if you don’t get in their head.”

WandaVision actor Julian Hilliard, 11 tweeted“Razzies are already mean and classless, but nominating a child is just disgusting and wrong. Why put a child at risk of increased bullying or worse? Be better.”

Then on Tuesday, the official Razzies Twitter account posted: “In light of the feedback (which we agreed with), @RazzieAwards will not include Ryan Kira Armstrong on the final ballot. @DevonESawa.

RELATED: Firestarter’s Ryan Kiera Armstrong Met Dad Zac Efron On-Screen Over A Ping-Pong Game

Never miss a story – subscribe to Free weekly PEOPLE newsletter to receive the most important news of the week in your inbox every Friday.

In an additional statement obtained by Variety, Razzies founder John Wilson apologized and said they would no longer run candidates under the age of 18. He called the outrage “a valid criticism” that “broke our attention to how insensitive we were on this occasion.”

“Sometimes you do something without thinking, and then you are called to do it. Then you understand it. That’s why the Razzies were created in the first place,” Wilson said. “… We have removed Armstrong’s name from the final ballot that our members will vote on next month. We also believe that Ms. Armstrong owes a public apology and would like to say that we are sorry for any pain she has experienced as a result of our choice. ”

“Learning from this lesson, we would also like to announce that from now on we are adopting the Voting Rules, which prohibit any performer or director under the age of 18 from being considered for our award,” he continued. “We never intended to bury anyone’s career. That is why our Redeemer Award was created. We all make mistakes, including ourselves. .”

Content Source

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button