Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick announced on Monday who will lead the Senate committees in the 88th Legislature.
Committee chairs have tremendous influence in determining which bills will move forward in session, possibly become law, and which bills will never be voted on.
Many of the 15 standing committees will be chaired by the same lawmakers – all Republicans except for one Democrat – as last session. However, a number of freshman senators quickly rose through the ranks to serve as deputies on several committees.
Legislature of Texas:Border security, tax breaks top priorities in Texas House and Senate budget proposals
List of Chairs of the Standing Committee of the 88th Session
Here is the complete list of Chairs and Vice Chairs of the 88th Session Standing Committee. See the Lieutenant Governor’s announcement for a complete list of quests.
- Administration: Senator Bob Hall, R-Edgwood, chairman; Sen. Drew Springer, R-Munster, Vice Chairman
- Border Security: Senator Brian Birdwell, Republic of Granbury, Chairman; Sen. Pete Flores, R-Pleasanton, Vice Chairman
- Business and Commerce: Senator Charles Schwertner, Georgetown State, Chairman; Sen. Phil King, R-Weatherford, Vice Chairman
- Criminal Justice: Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston, chairman; Sen. Pete Flores, R-Pleasanton, Vice Chairman
- Education: Sen. Brandon Creighton, R-Conroe, chairman; Sen. Donna Campbell, R-New Braunfels, Vice Chair
- Finance: Sen. Joan Huffman, D-Houston, chairman; Senator Juan Hinojosa, Dr. McAllen, Vice Chairman
- Health and Human Services: Senator Lois Colkhorst, R-Brenham, Chairman; Senator Charles Perry, R-Lubbock, Vice Chairman
- Higher education: Sen. Brandon Creighton, R-Conroe, chairman; Sen. Mays Middleton, R-Galveston, Vice Chairman
- Jurisprudence: Sen. Brian Hughes, R-Mineola, chairman; Sen. Nathan Johnson, Dallas, Vice Chairman
- Local Government: Senator Paul Betancourt, R-Houston State, Chairman; Sen. Drew Springer, R-Munster, Vice Chairman
- Natural Resources and Economic Development: Senator Brian Birdwell, R-Granbury, Chairman; Senator Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo, Vice Chairman
- Nominations: Sen. Donna Campbell, NY Braunfels, Chair; Sen. Kevin Sparks, R-Midland, Vice Chairman
- State Affairs: Sen. Brian Hughes, R-Mineola, Chairman; Sen. Angela Paxton, R-McKinney, Vice Chair
- Transportation: Sen. Robert Nichols, R. Jacksonville, chairman; Sen. Royce West, Dallas, vice chairman.
- Veterans Affairs: Senator Kelly Hancock, R-North Richland Hills, chairman; Sen. Tan Parker, R-Flower Mound, Vice Chairman
- Water, Agriculture and Rural Affairs: Senator Charles Perry, R-Lubbock, Chairman; Sen. Kelly Hancock, R-North Richland Hills, Vice Chair