The family of the UGA player who died in the accident lost another son in a similar accident; Mother says loss is ‘hard to understand’

Devin Willock and Chandler LeCroy were killed in a car accident Sunday morning, hours after the UGA Championship celebration.

ATHENS, Georgia. Charlene Willock described her son as a gentle giant who loved football and was so happy when he got the offer to play for the University of Georgia.

In a phone interview with NBC, the mother of Devin Willock, the UGA footballer who died in a car crash Sunday morning, spoke about the life of the 20-year-old and the impact he has had on so many people.

“He was a great man. You know, always loving and caring and always ready to lend a helping hand, kind word. He was a wonderful son,” Charlene said.

CONNECTED: Reactions to the death of UGA footballer Devin Willock and employee Chandler LeCroy

She said he was so proud to be a Georgia Bulldog, and when they won back-to-back titles, his mom laughed and said that he wouldn’t stop talking and kept telling her, “I told you we’d do it. We have the best team.”

“He was so proud of this team,” she added.

Charlene said that Devin was one of three brothers. One older half-brother died a couple of years ago, she said.

In an interview with NorthJersey.com, his father, David Willock, said the 2009 crash claimed the life of Jonathan Whitley while driving with a group of friends. He was also 20 years old.

“Everything was exactly the same — the same, the same age, the same,” David told the newspaper. “It’s really difficult.”

Charlene said he originally intended to go to Penn State but switched to the Bulldogs to make it easier for his family to attend games. She said they have family in Gainesville so that trips to the games will become more feasible.

His father said that the whole family was in Athens for the celebration of the championship. After the game, they went to dinner at the Texas Roadhouse, he told the newspaper.

CONNECTED: A touching moment tweeted just hours before the death of the UGA footballer

When asked about the interaction with the boy seen on Twitter that night, his mom said that was exactly who he was.

He won’t hurt a single soul. He finds time to spend time with them. He always encouraged the kids to work hard and just push.”

His mom said she hoped Devin was better.

“There will never be another Devin. At the moment I don’t even know what to say. It’s even hard to understand.”

The accident happened on Sunday around 2:45 am on Barnett Shoals Road in Athens.

The driver, 24-year-old Chandler LeCroy, who worked for the team as a staff member, was taken to the hospital, where she also died as a result of her injuries.

An initial investigation found that the Ford Expedition “ran off the roadway, hitting two power poles and several trees,” the statement said.

Offensive linesmen Warren McClendon, 21, and staff member Tory Bowles, 26, were also injured in the accident. McClendon was released from the hospital on Sunday evening; According to 11Alive UGA insider from UGASports.com, Bowles was still considered critical.

An online fundraiser was organized for the Willock family. Click here to find out more.

Content source

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button