MELBOURNE – Venus Williams has pulled out of the Australian Open due to an undisclosed injury she sustained while playing in Auckland, New Zealand this week.
A seven-time Grand Slam singles champion, Williams was given a wild card to the Australian Open last month to play in what was to be her 22nd major tournament at Melbourne Park.
But on Saturday, the Australian Open reported that Williams, 42, had withdrawn from the tournament effective January 16. Details of the injury were not reported.
This continues a losing streak for Williams, who last played at Melbourne Park in 2021.
Two-time Australian Open finalist Williams injured his ankle and knee in this performance when he awkwardly tripped over the net in his second-round match against Sara Errani.
Her best effort at Melbourne Park came when she lost to her sister Serena Williams in the finals in 2003 and 2017.
Having received a wild card in December, Williams is now ranked 1003rd and said she is thrilled to be back in Melbourne.
“I have been competing in this country for over 20 years and the Australian community has always been truly supportive,” she said.
The five-time Wimbledon singles champion has struggled with injuries over the past two years and was only able to play four tournaments in the US last August. In these competitions, she did not advance past the first round and ended her season losing to Alison van Uytwank at the US Open.
But she started 2023 on a positive note, defeating American Cathy Wolynets in Oakland. She then lost to China’s Zhu Lin in three sets in the second round.
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Copyright 2023 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed without permission.