Texas

Viral NW Side Street Takeover Video Raises Safety Concerns

SAN ANTONIO – The City of San Antonio may be forced to consider an ordinance to crack down on illegal street racing and street grabs after a viral video of the I-10 and Callahan takeover was released Sunday, raising safety concerns.

San Antonio Police Chief William McManus says his department’s efforts to contain the problem have paid off.

“We took a few cars, seized a few weapons, and since then we’ve been seeing them slow down there,” McManus said, referring to the arrests made about a year ago.

He said that while there are complaints of illegal street racing and street occupants, they are difficult to stop unless the police receive a warning.

“If we don’t know they’re getting ready to happen, we can’t stop them in the beginning,” McManus said.

Efforts to pass a city ordinance that would penalize spectators at these events have failed due to a lack of support, said District 6 City Councilwoman Melissa Cabello Havrd, chair of the city’s public safety committee.

“There wasn’t a lot of community support for this. I never want to do something that the community doesn’t want, which is why we’re still talking about it,” she said.

Cabello Hawrda encourages community members to call the police as soon as they see or learn about illegal activity.

She said she wants community members who have ideas on how to stop this illegal activity to call or email her office or attend monthly meetings of the Public Safety Committee.

ALSO ON KSAT.COM

What is being done to stop illegal street racing? KSAT explains

Copyright 2023 by KSAT – All rights reserved.

Content source

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button