The Republican Party wants the Hispanic vote, but they have no desire to fix the broken immigration system. Roll Call reports, “The White House is throwing in the towel on a comprehensive immigration bill this year after Speaker John Boehner told Obama last week that he will not allow a vote in the House.”
President Obama said he was tired of waiting on the Congress to act on immigration reform and would act on his own. Um, watch for the name-calling from the GOP — “Imperialist president” and “Monarch Obama.”
President Obama also wrote a letter to Sens. Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell addressing the situation at Rio Grande Valley areas where illegal immigrants have been streaming into the U.S. Here’s an excerpt:
While we are working across all of these channels, to execute a fully effective Government-wide strategy as the influx of migrants continues, we are eager to work with the Congress to ensure that we have the legal authorities to maximize the impact of our efforts. Initially, we believe this may include:
• providing the DHS Secretary additional authority to exercise discretion in processing the return and removal of unaccompanied minor children from non-contiguous countries like Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador; and
• increasing penalties for those who smuggle vulnerable migrants, like children.
In addition, we will request congressional action on emergency supplemental appropriations legislation to support:
• an aggressive deterrence strategy focused on the removal and repatriation of recent border crossers;
• a sustained border security surge through enhanced domestic enforcement, including interdiction and prosecution of criminal networks;
• a significant increase in immigration judges, reassigning them to adjudicate cases of recent border crossers, and establishing corresponding facilities to expedite the processing of cases involving those who crossed the border in recent weeks;
• a stepped up effort to work with our Central American partners to repatriate and reintegrate migrants returned to their countries, address the root causes of migration, and communicate the realities of these dangerous journeys; and
• the resources necessary to appropriately detain, process, and care for children and adults.
Latest posts by Janet Shan (see all)
- Wenjian Liu & Rafael Ramos ID’d as NYPD Cops Killed by Ismaaiyl Brinsley - December 20, 2014
- Al Sharpton Blasted On Twitter After Ismaaiyl Brinsley Kills 2 NYPD Officers - December 20, 2014
- Ismaaiyl Brinsley ID’d as Gunman In “Execution-Style” Murders of 2 NYPD Cops - December 20, 2014