The Republican Party wants the Hispanic vote, but they have no desire to fix the broken immigration system. Roll Call reports, “The White House is throwing in the towel on a comprehensive immigration bill this year after Speaker John Boehner told Obama last week that he will not allow a vote in the House.”
President Obama said he was tired of waiting on the Congress to act on immigration reform and would act on his own. Um, watch for the name-calling from the GOP — “Imperialist president” and “Monarch Obama.”
President Obama also wrote a letter to Sens. Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell addressing the situation at Rio Grande Valley areas where illegal immigrants have been streaming into the U.S. Here’s an excerpt:
While we are working across all of these channels, to execute a fully effective Government-wide strategy as the influx of migrants continues, we are eager to work with the Congress to ensure that we have the legal authorities to maximize the impact of our efforts. Initially, we believe this may include:
• providing the DHS Secretary additional authority to exercise discretion in processing the return and removal of unaccompanied minor children from non-contiguous countries like Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador; and
• increasing penalties for those who smuggle vulnerable migrants, like children.
In addition, we will request congressional action on emergency supplemental appropriations legislation to support:
• an aggressive deterrence strategy focused on the removal and repatriation of recent border crossers;
• a sustained border security surge through enhanced domestic enforcement, including interdiction and prosecution of criminal networks;
• a significant increase in immigration judges, reassigning them to adjudicate cases of recent border crossers, and establishing corresponding facilities to expedite the processing of cases involving those who crossed the border in recent weeks;
• a stepped up effort to work with our Central American partners to repatriate and reintegrate migrants returned to their countries, address the root causes of migration, and communicate the realities of these dangerous journeys; and
• the resources necessary to appropriately detain, process, and care for children and adults.
Latest posts by Janet Shan (see all)
- Michael Zehaf-Bibeau ID’d as Suspected Gunman in Ottawa Shooting Rampage - October 22, 2014
- Cpl. Nathan Cirillo ID’d as Soldier Killed in Ottawa War Memorial Shooting - October 22, 2014
- Report: Michael Brown Struggled with Darren Wilson Before Fatal Shooting - October 22, 2014