Happy Thursday, Shawnee Mission!
Today’s forecast: Mostly sunny, sometimes windy. High: 30, Low: 26
One thing to know today
Two Johnson County establishments have been named semifinalists for the prestigious James Beard Awards, often referred to as the “Food Oscars.”
Shawnee Drastic Measures cocktail bar is one of 20 semi-finalists nationwide in the “Outstanding Bar” category.
Drastic Measures, which opened in downtown Shawnee in the summer of 2020, has built a loyal following in the years since.
In an Instagram post on Wednesday, the bar called the news “world-changing.”
“We hope this recognition will allow us to be a larger part of our community, give more back to social and political causes that directly affect us and our guests, raise awareness of local organizations doing wonderful things, and continue to grow our revenue so increase wages and profit share for all our staff,” the post reads.
Meanwhile, The Restaurant at 1900 in Mission Woods was one of 20 semifinalists nominated in the “Outstanding Hospitality” category.
That establishment serves “modern American cuisine” on the ground floor of the 1900 Building at the corner of Shawnee Mission Parkway and State Line Road.
“We are always cheerful, but today our smiles will be even bigger when you come to visit us!” the restaurant said on its Facebook page Wednesday.
The list of semifinalists in each category will be narrowed down to nominees in March, and the final winners will be announced in June in Chicago.
Thursday public meetings
- Board of County Commissioners, 9:30 [View agenda]
- Prairie Village Committee VillageFest, 5:30pm [More info]
The best Wednesday stories of the post
More local news
- democratic state Senator Ethan Corson of Prairie Village was part of a bipartisan group of lawmakers supporting a bill that would restore limited driving privileges to thousands of Kansan residents whose licenses had been revoked for failing to pay traffic fines. [Kansas Reflector]
- A Olathe student he was taken to the hospital Tuesday after being found unconscious in the Prairie Trail Middle School swimming pool. [KMBC]
- Business a Pegah The restaurant in downtown Shawnee is apparently booming after word got out that Kansas City Chiefs running back Isiah Pacheco likes to eat breakfast there. [KSHB]
Nearly 3,600 preschoolers in the Shawnee Mission School District have signed up to receive free books mailed to them by Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library.
There are only 34 entries left to hit another big one @dollyslibrary milestone: 3,600 CHILDREN REGISTERED! Help us spread the word to get every future @theSMSD child from birth up to 5 years registered for FREE books! Register today at pic.twitter.com/ZbhvNZW8fS
— Shawnee Mission Education Foundation (@theSMEF) January 25, 2023
A section of Johnson Drive in Shawnee will be closed next week for repairs.
TRAFFIC ALERT: A portion of Johnson Drive will be closed in both directions between Pflumm and Maurer Roads beginning Monday, January 30 for approximately one week.
The teams will be working on a pipeline in the area.
Go to for all the details. pic.twitter.com/f7zDfeuk6R
— City of Shawnee, KS (@CityofShawneeKS) January 25, 2023
Local KC area congressmen have faith in Patrick Mahomes’ ankle.
Even with a sprained ankle, we are so confident Patrick Mahomes and the @Capi will beat Joe Burrow and the @Bengals that @repcleaver and I’m willing to bet some of KC’s best BBQ on this weekend’s AFC Championship Game.
What do you say @GregLandsman? pic.twitter.com/VuJFz65aUq
— Rep. Sharice Davids (@RepDavids) January 25, 2023