It’s the midweek pick-me-up, Shawnee Mission!
Today’s forecast: Sunny and slightly warmer. High: 37, Low; 22
One thing to know today
In case you missed it, the recently unveiled list of semifinalists for the prestigious James Beard Awards includes not only two Johnson County establishments, but also two other Kansas City-area culinary stars with ties to Johnson County.
The Post reported last week that Drastic Measures cocktail bar in Shawnee and The Restaurant at 1900 in Mission Woods were both up for prizes.
What you may not know is JoCo Connections which has two other semifinalists.
For the second year in a row, Kansas City-based Yoli Tortilleria was shortlisted in the Outstanding Bakery category.
Yoli’s wider exposure has exploded in recent years, but co-founders Mark and Marisa Gencarelli have been selling their wares at the Overland Park Farmers Market since 2017.
“We really believed in that market and we really love all the vendors, that was the main reason we wanted to be there,” Marisa Gencarelli told the Post following her nomination for Beard last year.
Meanwhile, Pam Liberda, the executive chef of Waldo Thai in Kansas City’s Waldo area, was also named a semifinalist in the Best Chef Midwest category.
While Waldo Thai has been a hot lunch ticket for years, Liberda and her husband Teddy recently ventured into Johnson County, opening Buck Tui BBQ in Overland Park last year.
Buck Tui has quickly earned plaudits, making Eater’s list of the “14 Best BBQs in Kansas City” last summer.
Public meetings on Wednesday
- Mission Community Development Committee, 6.30pm [View agenda]
- Overland Park Community Development Committee, 7:00 p.m [View agenda]
- Mission Finance and Administration Committee, 7.30pm [View agenda]
The best post Tuesday stories
More local news
- The City of De Soto has selected a non-profit engineering firm that includes The mayor of Overland Park, Curt Skoog as a board member to help oversee the planning and construction of a new electric vehicle battery plant. [Kansas City Business Journal]
- Kansas citizens will get a sneak peek at the new terminal at KCI airportt with an open house scheduled for Saturday, February 18, more than a week before the highly anticipated $1.5 billion project officially opens. [Kansas City Star]
- A Woman of Overland Park she says her ex-husband took their three-year-old son with him to Dubai without her permission and is now looking for a lawyer to deal with his complaint. [KCTV]
The city of Lenexa wants candidates for the city’s Volunteer Hall of Fame.
Know someone who makes Lenexa a better place by helping out? Now is the time to let them know that you notice and appreciate their efforts. Nominate them for the Lenexa Volunteer Hall of Fame by February 17 at pic.twitter.com/ydhGQMipaz
— City of Lenexa (@cityoflenexa) January 31, 2023
There is some way to go in Mission today and tomorrow.
Highway Closure Notice: 67th Street from Beverly Street to Lamar Avenue will be closed to traffic effective today through February 2, 2023 for a sanitary sewer hookup. Please drive safely and follow detour signs. Thank you!#Road closure pic.twitter.com/qd7cVhs1yO
— Mission City, KS (@CityofMissionKS) January 31, 2023
barnacles! The SM East Theater is preparing for a magical underwater adventure.
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea here at Lancer Nation? It’s SpongeBob SquarePants! The cast and crew put on a great show for elementary school students! Grab your show tickets and swim out to Bikini Bottom for some fun! Thursday, Friday or Saturday! pic.twitter.com/RfNQarep6L
— PMI Lancers (@SMEastLancers) January 31, 2023