One thing to know today
Fairway Police are investigating a string of vehicle thefts that occurred earlier this week in which several home garage door openers were stolen.
Investigators say at least six vehicles sitting in front of houses were broken into during the night on Tuesday.
Four garage door openers were taken from the vehicles, among other items, police say.
All the broken-in vehicles have been unlocked, according to the police.
Police are telling residents whose garage door openers have been stolen to disconnect their garage door opener systems and reprogram their door openers.
More generally, Fairway Police urge residents to remember to lock their car doors at night and remove anything of value from vehicles.
They are also urging all residents with home security footage that could show suspicious activity to contact investigators at 913-782-0720.
Vehicle break-ins are a common enough problem that in recent years some Johnson County police departments have encouraged residents to adopt a “9:00 p.m. routine,” making sure their vehicles are locked and the garage doors closed before going to bed.
Things to do on the weekend
- Kansas City Golf Show, Overland Park Convention Center, Friday-Sunday [More info]
- Lenexa Winter Farmers Market, Town Hall, Saturday 10am-1pm [More info]
- Disney On Ice, T-Mobile Center (KCMO), Fridays and Saturdays [Get tickets]
- “Cinderella” presented by Kansas City Ballet, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, through Sunday [Get tickets]
The best Thursday stories of the post
More local news
- A Shawnee man was hospitalized with minor injuries following the crash I-35 Southbound near the intersection with US 69 Highway. [Kansas Highway Patrol]
- Shawnee Parks and Rec has recently expanded its range of activities, including karaoke and cooking classes, for people with special needs. [Kansas City Star]
- The White House has named Johnson County assistant district attorney Jabari Wamble be a federal judge for the United States District Court in Kansas. [White House]
Leawood-based barbecue purveyor Meat Mitch is preparing to launch his stand at the new KCI airport, which opens on Tuesday.
— MeatMitch (@MeatMitch) February 23, 2023
Mathletes nicknames are what make this:
@trailwoodsmsd The mathletes did an outstanding job at the South Area Regional Math Competition yesterday! Our 6th Grade team of Rutva “Square Root” Solanki, Betsy “Trigonometry” Theil and Venkat “Googolplex” Gogineni earned 1st place!!@theSMSD pic.twitter.com/WwYeaIv8Ad
— Trailwood Elementary School (@trailwoodsmsd) February 23, 2023
Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly shows off the victory haul: Pennsylvania pretzels and donuts that were part of a Super Bowl bet.
This is part of his Super Bowl betting winnings, which he plans to share with the lawmaker. pic.twitter.com/fYkBwrkHHM
— Katie Bernard (@KatieJ_Bernard) February 23, 2023
A thousand words
Feel like cooking this weekend? Get some ideas from the Cookbook Lending Library in downtown Overland Park. Photo credit Nikki Lansford.