KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KCTV) – National Security Investigations KC warns the public against being tempted by low prices and offers from questionable suppliers.
HSI KC says physical, financial and public safety are just a few reasons “why fans should think twice” and be vigilant when purchasing their Chiefs gear.
“Consumers often view the buying and selling of counterfeit goods as a victimless crime, but unfortunately this is rarely accurate.
Those small businesses that a consumer thinks they are supporting may actually be filtering funds to larger, more heinous criminal organizations.
This is one of the many reasons why we at HSI KC ask consumers to take extra care when stocking up on fan apparel to support their favorite team.”
HSI KC then offered the following suggestions for consumers:
- Be vigilant about where you are buying products and tickets. Use known dealers and/or official dealer websites.
- If you buy goods online, beware of third-party sellers and look for verifiable locations and addresses.
- Check where the item was made. If it’s made in China, that’s a big indicator that the item is likely fake. Official NFL apparel is not made there.
- Pay attention to the quality of the items you buy. Are the numbers even and flat or do they bubble? Are they glossy instead of matte?
- Does the deal sound too good to be true? If so, chances are it is.
“We have your back, sports fans. As long as it’s not covered in counterfeits.
If you wish to report suspected criminal activity, you are asked to contact your local law enforcement agency or the HSI Tip Line at 1-866-DHS-2423.