Dedicated to improving the quality of life in our community, the Johnson County Park and Recreation District offers year-round programs, activities, and special events for all ages!
For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the business numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359. For all in-person programs, physical distancing and COVID-19 safe practices will be encouraged.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people 50 and older, interested parties who haven’t yet reached that magical age may still be able to participate. Persons age 18 and older interested in a 50 Plus class are encouraged to call the 50 Plus department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here is a sample of the programs JCPRD has planned for the week of February 12-18:
February 13 – Group swimming lessons for young people (6 months and older)
- Shawnee Mission School District Aquatic Center, 17251 W. 87th St., Lenexa, Monday and Wednesday, 14 classes in seven levels, starting times and lengths vary, eight sessions, $65 per child, $72 nonresident – Class Levels they include: Tot & Me, Preschool A, Preschool B, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, and Level 4. Most levels are awarded based on skill level rather than age. Find descriptions of swimming levels or use our swimming level assessment form. Search and register for group swimming lessons.
February 14 – Art: start drawing (16 and over)
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Tuesday, 6-8:30 p.m., 3 sessions, $66 per person, $73 non-resident – Want to learn the basics of drawing or just work on honing your current skills? Whether you want to update your journal, improve the drawings foundational to your paintings, or just draw for fun; this lesson will walk you through the basics of drawing. Activity number 23938.
February 15 – Early Learning: Cooks and Books (ages 2 to 5 with an adult)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave, Prairie Village, 10:30am – 11am, $3 per person, $4 non-resident – Enjoy reading a favorite children’s book and create a coordinating craft. A recipe for an easy and suitable snack for children will be distributed. Activity number 24568.
February 17 – Day Trip: Dogs and Daredevils (50+)
- Departs from Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch, Merriam, 9am to 8pm, $119 per person – Travel to Topeka, Kan. and discover the wild world of Evel Knievel at the famous Evel Knievel Museum. After the tour, enjoy lunch and travel to Washington, KS to the KSDS Assistance Dog Inc. training facility. See where they train these faithful companions to serve those with physical disabilities and/or visual impairments. Activity number 24636.
February 18 – Exercise: Zumba Gold (ages 50 and up)
- Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, Saturday, 9 to 9:50, five sessions, $40 per person, $44 non-resident – This moderate-intensity program is perfect for active seniors looking for a lesson in Zumba modified. Easy-to-follow choreography focuses on balance, range of motion, coordination, and fun! Activity number 24514. Want to try a lesson before committing to the whole session? Call 913-826-3160 for details.
February 18 – Birdwatching: Big Backyard Bird Count (All Ages)
- Ernie Miller Nature Center, 909 N. Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe, All ages, 9 am to noon, FREE – Join us as we count birds and contribute to a worthy cause. Learn about the birds that spend the winter in northeast Kansas and help with the count. It’s as easy as one-two-three. Every year, biologists and researchers count on you to help them determine the health of bird populations in North America. Join us as we count birds and contribute data to a worthy cause. Come and go as you please between 9am and 12pm to help count the birds. You may see Northern Cardinals, Black-capped Chickadees, and many other feathered friends. Learn about the birds that spend the winter in northeastern Kansas from expert birders at the Burroughs Audubon Society of Greater Kansas City and Kansas Master Naturalists. For more information, call 913-826-2800. Activity number 24605.