We made it to Friday, Shawnee Mission!
Today’s forecast: Sunny. High: 47, Low: 31
One thing to know today
The newly released video shows the harrowing moments when a semi-truck unknowingly pulled a car nearly eight miles along I-435 in Johnson County Wednesday morning.
Leawood Police released two snippets of video taken from traffic cameras operated by KC Scout, which monitors traffic in the metro region.
Both cameras show the westbound lanes of I-435, one at Metcalf Avenue and another a few blocks west at Roe Avenue.
In each of the videos, the semi can be seen traveling west with the car being carried as it is wedged under the trailer towards the rear right side of the truck.
The camera at Metcalf:
The truck eventually stopped near Lackman Road, nearly eight miles away from where investigators say the car first collided with the truck at State Line Road.
A 28-year-old woman from Kansas City, Mo., was found inside the car, a compact Kia, after the truck stopped and was taken to a hospital for evaluation.
It’s unclear exactly how the car attached itself to the truck.
Police believe the semi was traveling westbound towards the I-435 ramp and that the Kia was traveling southbound on the State Line when the car collided with the truck.
Things to do on the weekend
- Prairie Village Art Show, City Hall, Fridays, 8am-5pm [More info]
- Leawood Lunar New Year Celebration, I-Lan Park, 6pm [More info]
- Winter Farmers Market, Downtown Lenexa, Saturday, 10am – 1pm [More info]
- Opus 79 String Quartet, Midwest Trust Center, Sunday, 2pm [More info]
The best Thursday stories of the post
More local news
- A Lenexa Police The cruiser was hit by a runaway vehicle Wednesday afternoon near 87th Street Parkway and I-35. [KMBC]
- Strang Hall Chefs Collectiveand, which operates Strang Hall food throughout Overland Park, will open a new food hall at the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri. [Kansas City Business Journal]
- A man has been hospitalized after a car accident Olate Thursday morning. [Fox 4]
SM East senior Abigail Long recently broke the school career record for three-point shooting.
New Story: Long Breaks School Record for 3pt FG’s in a Career
— PMI Lancers (@SMEastLancers) January 26, 2023
Kindergarten and preschool enrollment will begin soon at Shawnee Mission.
SAVE THE DATE! We are so excited to announce an enrollment date for the 2023-2024 pre-kindergarten and preschool school year! Entries will go live on FEBRUARY 10th at 8:00am. Find out more here: pic.twitter.com/M0C5fsPWzm
— SM School District (@theSMSD) January 25, 2023
Several JCCC students have earned scholarships to study abroad.
Four JCCC students were awarded prestigious Gilman Scholarships to study or train in countries around the world this summer. Three students will study at Florence University of the Arts in Italy and one will study in Seoul, South Korea. Read more: pic.twitter.com/LIfZ2aStQN
— Johnson County Community College (@JCCCtweet) January 26, 2023