Unfortunately, the world is not a very peaceful or safe place for many people. From conflict to abuse to exploitation, there is so much cruelty inflicted on humans and animals alike. While this can get daunting and hard to hear, petitions are a great way to use your voice for good. Just by signing one, you are helping to help those who are not being treated fairly. You can even share them with your friends and acquaintances to increase your impact.
Through petitions, we can reach out to those in power and demand justice for others. They are valuable tools for making positive change in the world. If you’re looking for ways to help animals and humans, here are 10 petitions you should sign this week, including Demand YouTube Deplatform Sadistic Poaching Couple, Urge Congress to Ban Cosmetic Testing on Animals, Tell the Kansas City Chiefs to Change Their Name , and more!
We want to thank you for being the change you wish to see in the world and giving a voice to the voiceless.
1. Request that Norfolk Southern pay for the health care costs of those affected by the train derailment
Source: ABC 7 Chicago/YouTube
Earlier this month a Norfolk Southern freight train derailed, caught fire and spilled toxic chemicals along the Ohio-Pennsylvania border. Many people have fallen ill, several pets have died, and scientists believe the effects of this spill could last for years. Bad regulation and unethical practices are the likely causes of this spill and Norfolk Southern must be held responsible for it. Sign this petition to ask Norfolk Southern to fund health care costs and monitor people in the affected area!
2. Ask NOAA to investigate the impact offshore drilling has on marine animals
A new study has been released that has shown that dolphins need to “yell” at each other to communicate because the ocean is too noisy. Human activities are probably the main cause of this noise pollution and offshore drilling could be a major culprit. These loud noises can affect marine animals’ ability to mate, migrate, hunt, and can be extremely stressful. Sign this petition to urge NOAA to investigate the impact offshore drilling has on marine animals!
3. Tell Doug Ford to drop the two-tier health plan
Source: CTV News/YouTube
Ontario Premier Doug Ford plans to siphon funds from public hospitals and give them to private clinics. Not only will this make patients wait longer due to understaffing, but it will prioritize treating the wealthiest people who can pay out of pocket. This plan threatens the health of millions of Ontarians. Sign this petition to urge Doug Ford to abandon this disastrous plan!
4. Ask YouTube to de-platform the sadistic poaching duo
Source: New York Post/YouTube
Josh and Sarah Bowmar are a pair of hunters who offer hunting advice to their hundreds of thousands of social media followers. However, the pair have been accused of breaking several state and federal hunting laws and have even pleaded guilty to violating the Lacey Act. They have also been accused of breaking the Migratory Bird Act. promote illegal hunting tactics and claim their innocence on social media. Sign this petition to urge YouTube to deplatform the Bowmars!
5. Urge states to pass protections for abortion and the LGBTQ+ community
New York is amending its constitution to protect people from discrimination based on their sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression. The amendment will also give people the right to reproductive health care. If we can enshrine these protections in state law across the country, we can help many people who are being discriminated against. Please sign this petition to urge all other states to pass these protections as well!
6. Urge the Iranian government to strengthen domestic violence laws
Source: i24NEWS English/YouTube
A man in Iran who recently beheaded his 17-year-old wife and carried her head around smiling received a mere eight-year prison sentence. Women and men in Iran have long protested the misogyny inherent in Iranian laws. Many have been arrested, tortured and even killed for expressing their beliefs. It’s time we lend them our support and help give women better protection in Iran. Sign this petition to urge the government of Iran to strengthen domestic violence laws!
7. Help ensure that this animal abuser is never allowed to have pets again
Authorities in Burke County, North Carolina seized 49 miniature horses and 39 chickens from two properties. The animals suffered from various states of neglect, and an investigation showed that the horses were so desperate for food that they ate sawdust and mud. Additionally, the skeletal remains of other animals were littered around the properties. The woman who is responsible for it is already on probation and the law will allow her to continue to “own” animals. Sign this petition to make sure this animal abuser is never allowed to have pets again!
8. Urge Congress to ban cosmetic testing on animals
Canada recently banned cosmetic testing on animals after years of campaigning by animal rights advocates. Approximately 500,000 animals are subjected to these tests each year, although numerous ingredients have already been approved for cosmetic use and there is better technology for testing these products. However, cosmetic testing on animals is still legal in most states in this country. Please sign this petition to urge Congress to ban animal cosmetic testing once and for all!
9. Make it illegal to separate families if they can’t afford to pay the foster care bills
Source: NPR/YouTube Daily News
The Cunninghams had their four children taken from them after they were injured on the job and became addicted to painkillers. Fortunately, both parents were able to sober up and get their lives back on track. However, the North Carolina state foster system returned only three of their children because the Cunnighams owed the state money for custody. Parents shouldn’t have their children stolen because they can’t afford to pay a bill. Sign this petition to urge Congress to make it illegal to keep families apart because they can’t afford to pay a bill!
10. Tell the Kansas City Chiefs to change their name
Source: USA Today/YouTube
The Kansas City Chiefs just won the Super Bowl, but their name is a constant reminder that objectifying and disrespecting Indigenous groups is acceptable. The team has repeatedly been asked to change its name, but has consistently refused to do so. Additionally, fans will often use the tomahawk cut and wear headgear, further disrespecting these groups. Sign this petition to urge the Kansas City Chiefs to finally change their name!
Simple ways to help the planet:
- Eat less meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your carbon footprint, save animals, and stay healthy. You can also purchase a hard copy or digital copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the lead by standing up to the pollution of fast fashion and supporting sustainable, circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness of important issues through recycled, zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support independent media: Being publicly funded gives us a better chance of continuing to provide you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us with a donation!
- Sign a petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of petitions to sign to help people, animals and the planet.
- Stay informed: Keep up to date with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do what you can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse things, say no to single use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold-water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, make donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, save energy, compost and don’t forget the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!